I had earlier written about kicking off Yoga after Jummah ( Muslim Congregation Prayer) at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. Today marked the completion of the first month in which we have had 5 weekly friday post prayer practices and people have stayed back for each class and some for almost all classes.
Thanks all for coming and sharing your practice with me. And lest you may wonder, Yoga transcends any specific religious belief system (yes, it sure has its roots in vedic scriptures and in hinduism, but its goal is essentially to help one attain inner self-awareness and hopefully a glimpse of the divine in us). In countries like India, Muslims have partaken in Yoga for centuries, though perhaps not universally within the community. In fact, the greatest teacher of all, TKV Krishnamcharya was sent to teach yoga to the Ruler of Hyderabad, a Muslim at the behest of the King of Mysore. He adapted the practice to include sufi elements and the royal family of hyderabad became regular practitioners of yoga.
So see you all for practice every friday!
- Started Yoga After the Muslim Friday Jummah Prayers at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia Medical Center
- Celebrating a month of Yoga for Foodies this Friday 24th, Feb!
- Completing 4 weeks of Yoga at Columbia University Medical Center – Yoga@Work
- Makara Studio in Full Flow – Official Press Release of the Studio with a Conscience
- Yoga and Delicious Mole this Friday March 23 at Makara Studio
Leave a reply
Fields marked with * are required